Purpose of Form
Use this form to petition for an alien worker to become a permanent resident in the United States.
Number of Pages
Form 6; Instructions 10.
You may use the 03/05/13 edition and 10/15/15 editions until April 16, 2016.
You must use the 11/20/15 edition starting April 16, 2016.
You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the Form and Instructions.
Where to File
The filing address depends on whether you are filing Form I-140 by itself or with another form. Check the Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-140 for instructions on where to mail your form.
If filing at a USCIS Lockbox facility:
- Please read our filing tips.
- If you complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the front of your petition, we will send you a text message and/or email when your Form I-140 has been accepted.
To ensure your Form I-140 is accepted for processing:
- Pay the correct filing fee of $580
- Sign the form
- Fill out the form completely and accurately, particularly these required fields:
- Part 1 – Family Name or Company/Organization Name
- Part 1 – Address
- Part 1 – IRS Tax Number or Social Security Number (does not apply to petition types 1.a., Alien of Extraordinary Ability or 1.i., National Interest Waiver)
- Part 2 – Petition Type
- Part 3 – Date of Birth